St. George Orthodox Koonan Kurish Church, Kochi 360° Virtual Tour.
The 360 virtual reality tour of St. George Orthodox Church, Koonan Kurish Kochi will help us to visit the church without being there.
The St. George Church of Mattancherry, Leaning Cross Church, Kochi one of the oldest churches in India has played a significant role in the historic event that shaped the leadership of the Malankara Church, as it is today.
The history of Mattanchery Church is connected with Mar Baselios Sacrella Maphriyono, the Bishop of Aleppo Town in Bravua. Mar Gregorios Yuhanon who came to India along with Baselios Sacralla Maphriyono ordained Kattumangattu Abraham Ramban (Monk) as Bishop Mar Kurilose in AD 1772 in this church.
He then moved to Malabar and established a church called the Malabar Independent Syrian Church. Subsequently, there was a dispute over the possession of the Mattancherry Church and the Dutch governor who heard the case finally gave the verdict in favour of Veliya Mar Dionysius, then the Malankara Metropolitan (Mar Thoma VI).
In later years Fort Cochin and Mattancherry Churches were amalgamated to form one Parish. This church remained closed for 20 years following disputes but finally opened its doors again in 1997. The church is known as “Mattancherry Muri” or “Erimeghapally” presently under the control of the Malankara Metropolitan.
The Koonankurishu Pally is a revered pilgrim centre. It has a paramount position among other Orthodox churches as it is home to the holy remains of St.George. It was built on the land where the historical Koonankurishu Oath took place.
The church was consecrated in 1751 and renovated later in 1974 under the initiative of Late Lamented Metropolitan His Grace Yuhanon Mar Severios of Cochin Diocese.